People who value nutrition without sacrificing taste strongly recommend almond milk as a welcome addition to a healthy diet. Have you ever wondered how almond milk actually helps your body, though? Here are six great health benefits of consuming almond milk.
1. It aids in managing your weight – Whether you want to gain or lose some weight, drinking almond milk is a great way to get in shape! A cup of almond milk contains less kilojoules than dairy milk as well as most dairy alternatives including soy, rice, oat and coconut milk.
2. It strengthens your heart – Low in sodium and rich in healthy fats (e.g. mono and polyunsaturated fatty acids), almond milk helps to prevent high blood pressure and fatal heart diseases.
3. It protects your skin – Almond milk contains vitamin E, an antioxidant which nourishes and protects your skin against harmful Ultraviolet rays.
4. It satisfies your sweet cravings the healthy way – Since almond milk is low in carbohydrates, it will have very little effect on blood sugar, which is particularly beneficial for those with diabetes. In addition the presence of good fats in almond milk helps to keep you feeling fuller for longer as it slows down digestion and consequently energy release.
5. It keeps your digestion in check – Almond milk is a source of fibre contain 3.0g per serve. Fibre is responsible for keeping the digestive system in check and also plays a role in stabilising blood glucose levels and cholesterol which contributes to the prevention of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
6. It tastes better than dairy milk – Making it a great alternative for those who are lactose intolerant. Plus it serves as a wonderful substitute in recipes and dishes which call for cows’ milk.
These are just a few of the many benefits of consuming almond milk but if you don’t do it for any other reason, just drink it because it tastes great!! When buying your almond milk (as with all foods & beverages) make sure you read the list of ingredients to ensure you are buying products free from added sugar, preservatives and harmful chemicals.
To learn more facts and tips for the health-savvy, subscribe to our monthly newsletter.
Brady, Krissy. “11 Benefits of Almond Milk You Didn’t Know About.” Lifehack, n.d. Web. 1 April 2015.
Morgan, Griffin. “How Fiber Helps Your Digestive Health.” WebMD, 1 November 2010. Web. 6 April 2015.