With Australia Day just a week away we asked our team at Luz HQ to think about what they love most about Australia. With over half our team being born and growing up in other countries it was particularly interesting to get their perspective on the country we all now call home.
Here we have compiled a list of what we love most about Australia:
Julie-Anne (born & bred Ireland, now calls Brisbane home) LOVES:
- Sunshine at 6am!
- Lightning storms that light up the sky
- Use of the line “No worries”
- Sitting outside in a café on a Saturday morning, sun on your back and breakfast with avocado
- Some of the most friendly people
- Hemsworth brothers (who DOESN’T agree with this one :))
- How multicultural this place is – At times some people may disagree, but compared to other countries, Australia is very good I think
- Fresh food at farmers markets! Again much harder to find in cooler countries
- Having swimming pools in the ocean, it’s weird, but great!
- Not needing to wear a coat!
Dermot (born & bred Ireland, now calls Brisbane home) LOVES:
- The people and their diversity, yeah there are good and bad ones here too but life’s too short to waste time with the bad apples.
- How most Aussies don’t get too hung up about religion, politics or that sort of thing.
- Sport and how Australians go crazy about it, why I’ve even watched cricket and rugby league games many years ago without even knowing the rules, I guess it must be rubbing off on me too as I now enjoy drinking beer and watching other people play the sport!
- The wild weather is sometimes to like, great lightning shows, rain on a tin roof, I can only ever recall hearing rain on a tin roof in Ireland whilst inside a barn as our houses have slate or tile on the roofs back home. I’m not mad on the wild winds we get here as it interferes with my enjoyment of bike riding, but having just experienced what my mates back home were doing on their bikes on the roads there in mid winter I can safely say that we’re blessed here. At least when it rains here it usually gets it over and done with and doesn’t drizzle for days on end like back in the old country, I hate that. And the rain in Queensland is warm anyway for most of the year!
- The nature, so many unspoilt areas and green tree frogs here, I guess that’s why so many of my friends call me Kermie. (Dermot the Kermot :))
Jade (born & bred Australia, calls Sydney home) LOVES:
- How the sky can be such a bright blue
- Coffee, good coffee
- Cafe culture
- Australian Open (it’s tennis season!)
- Beautiful seafood
- Bright, fresh food
- How the landscape is so varied from rainforests, beaches, desserts, bushland…I think it’s got everything (minus proper snow!)
- Australian native flowers e.g. flannel flowers
- The colours and calls of Australian birds
- Wine regions
Liv (born England, bred Australia, calls Sydney home) LOVES:
- Coming home to Sydney
- The harbour views and lights – “the beauty is something I will never get over”
- The lifestyle – “I find Sydney to be the perfect combination of chilled and fast paced, you can be at work in the city and 15 minutes later be down at Bondi Beach”
- Sydney summer; everywhere just bustles and everyone is happy
- The food, the salads, the fresh produce and the creativity
- The coffee
- Walking spots like Bondi to Bronte, hermitage walk, Gap walk
- Sydney CBD – I find it very inspiring!
- The New Years eve fireworks
Wayne (born & bred New Zealand, now calls Brisbane home) came here for the land of great opportunity (both countries a lot closer now) and LOVES:
- The golden beaches
- 9 mths of summer and 3 mths of winter
- Warm days in winter
- Great coffee and beer
- I would say the Wallaby’s but being a kiwi I still support the All Blacks!