- By Olivia Bates
- 14 January 2015
by Jade Ashby
After a busy day at the factory, I thought I’d go explore Brisbane by foot. With google maps on my phone to make sure I didn’t wander too far, off I set for a walk along the Brisbane Southbank. With the numerous bridges crossing the river connecting different city areas, it somewhat resembled a modern European city. As it was dusk, the city was showing off with a display of beautiful pink and mauve tones. Trees were illuminated along the stretch of the Southbank, trying not to be outdone by the city lights of the office buildings opposite. A runners (or walkers) paradise!
A vibrant Brisbane sign for a vibrant city. Can you spot the cyclist?
Each meal of the day should be enjoyed therefore one must take the opportunity to try new foods when in a new location. Breakfast at Paleo (cafe). A Luz Almond milk latte with the omelette of the day. Lovely food and smiley staff. If only I had time to look around the shops in Paddington. Alas, it is a work trip, not a shopping trip!
Lunch at Botanica’s, don’t mind if I do! An absolute must. Owners Brett and Ali have created a gorgeous space to showcase their scrumptious salads (and sweets!).
A quick visit to Raw Pawpaw for afternoon teatime, or should I say, another Luz Almond Latte. Other patrons were having a later lunch and I couldn’t help but wish I had more room as the salad plates looked divine!
The sun was shining during my visit to Sourced Grocer and it appears the Luz Almond milks were also proudly illuminated within their fridge!
Last spot for the day at Press Cafe. A funky permanent pop store with wholesome takeaway options and lovely staff members.
Can’t wait for my next trip!
- By Olivia Bates
- 11 December 2014
There is no denying we all have a soft spot for the magic affiliated with the big jolly guy in the red and white suit…however despite all the love in the world we would prefer to not end the silly season looking like him! The fact is ‘you are what you eat’ and if you spend the entire silly season stuffing yourself with pudding and mince pies, you are bound to start resembling one. Here we have compiled our top ten tips for avoiding the Christmas weight gain:
- Stock up on fresh produce and a healthy pantry – particularly if you are in Australia at this time of year, the warm weather and abundance of delicious fruit and vegetables makes it a great time to enjoy salads and fresh fruit. Avoid the temptation of eating highly processed food and Christmas treats by keeping it out of the house (at least until the 25th) – out of sight out of mind!!
- Don’t go to the Christmas party hungry – consume a light meal such as a salad or sandwich (made on wholegrain bread) prior to the event to prevent you from overindulging on party food as soon as you arrive. Many party foods are ladened with saturated fat and / or sugar (think party pies, spring rolls and mince pies), which are high in kilojoules but leave you feeling unsatisfied and often result in excessive consumption.
- Eat regular meals – skipping meals will often leave you reaching for the Christmas cake later on so stick to your regular meal times!
- Don’t overindulge in alcohol – we know this is the time of year when we are likely to have a couple of extra champagnes, however it is important to remember that large quantities of alcohol disrupt sleep patterns as well being a significant source of empty kilojoules. Try and maintain at least 3 alcohol free days per week plus alternate each glass of alcohol with a glass
of water – this will help prevent over consumption of alcohol as well as food!
- Make better choices and set yourself a limit prior to arrival – try and steer clear of pastry /deep fried canapés in particular, as well as giving yourself a limit … let’s say four savoury items and one or two sweet treats (I will let you decide on the number) …and make sure you stick to it!
- Maintain your sleep pattern – a late night out at a Christmas party may result in inadequate sleep particularly if it is mid week and you still have to turn up to work tomorrow. In contrast a heavy night of drinking may result in a serious hangover and feeling like spending the whole day in bed. Research has shown less than 6 hours or greater than 8 hours of sleep is associated with weight gain so you should be aiming for 7 hours of sleep a night, even during the silly season!!
- Don’t try and lose weight – if there is one time of the year to NOT try and lose weight…it is Christmas – you are setting yourself up for failure! Christmas is a time to relax and unwind with family and friends, so don’t place additional pressure on yourself by trying to lose weight! If you have a few extra kilos to lose, focus instead on not putting on weight and then use the New Year to set yourself some achievable goals and targets!
- Stay active – while this time of year is undoubtedly one of the busiest, don’t let it interfere with your exercise routine, as it is one of those times we need it the most. It will not only help prevent those extra kilos from creeping on but also tones our muscles and relieves stress which can also often accompany this time of year! If you can’t make it to the gym or your usual exercise activities, up your incidental activity by walking to work, choosing stairs instead of the escalators or power walking to do your Christmas shopping! Every little bit counts!
- Use a smaller plate – it might seem ridiculous but studies have shown people who use a larger plate compared to those who use a smaller plate are more likely to consume more kilojoules. Regardless of the plate size we mentally feel we need to clear the plate (inbuilt from childhood when you weren’t allowed dessert if you didn’t finish everything on your plate), so those
eating from the larger plate may have actually eaten enough before they finished their plate, yet the need to clear the plate results in overeating.
- Enjoy yourself – most importantly allow yourself to enjoy this time of year, don’t set yourself expectations of perfect because chances are your ideals of perfect differ from someone else…and really who cares! Focus on what matters most and what this time of year means to YOU!
- By Olivia Bates
- 17 October 2014
In September we met up with one of our favourite food bloggers and the clever, creative soul behind the awesome instagram account BreakfastCriminals… Ksenia! In true New York style, we met up in iconic Central Park and shared one of Ksenia’s delicious creations…a Dragon Fruit Berry Bliss Chia Pudding (for the recipe click here). In case the picture doesn’t say it all…it was BEYOND delicious and packed with superfood goodness!
Ksenia founded Breakfast criminals after a visit to Hawaii where she was exposed to the exotic tropical goodness of colourful, superfood packed acai bowls. After a quest to find something similar back home in NYC, Ksenia was disappointed to find the limited options available lacked the love and soul which enriched those with which she had fallen in love with in the Aloha culture. So with some experimentation, inspiration and tonnes of enthusiasm from her friends and the instagram community, breakfast criminals was born!!
From her passion and love for food, health and wellbeing, Ksenia’s Breakfast Criminals has turned into a movement inspiring people all over the world to start their day with a healthy and nourishing breakfast, most importantly made with love! In fact it is the love and soul of the original Hawaiian acai superfood bowls which led to the use of the heart shaped bowl, which has been so hotly requested that she now sells them on Amazon! She also runs incredible acai superfood masterclasses and has her own BreakfastCriminals eBook packed with the recipes for all those incredible bowls she teases us with her on instagram, so be sure to check out her website so you can have access to all the amazing goodness Ksenia has to offer!!
In line with her love and passion for health and wellbeing, Ksenia is devoted to Strala yoga and meditation. Recently she completed her 200 hour yoga training and is also undergoing her advanced spiritual leadership training. Through the combination of these passions, she is also about to host SuperYou: Yoga + Superfood Retreat in Nicaragua in early November. Incredible superfood cuisine, created by none other than Ksenia herself, as well as yoga classes, long rainforest walks, pristine beaches and luxury treehouse accommodation – need we say more?!
For more information about Ksenia and Breakfast Criminals check out her website
OR find her on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
P.s. A fun fact we found out about Ksenia when we caught up was that she actually grew up in Australia so we can ALMOST claim her as our own!
- By Olivia Bates
- 8 October 2014
Start your day with this nutrient packed smoothie!
1 cup Luz Almond Cold Pressed Almond milk with Medjool Date
½ bunch mint, roughly chopped
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp cacao powder
Maple syrup to taste
1 frozen banana
1. Blend all ingredients until smoothie consistency, adding maple syrup last to taste.
2. Top with a mint leaf and there you have a delicious and nutritious breakfast which will keep you full for hours!
- By Olivia Bates
- 11 September 2014
We are so grateful to have been included in the ‘What I Ate Wednesday’ section of the blog of the very lovely Melissa Fine of Melissa Eats Mindfully. She is a qualified nutritionist, health foodie and blogger. She is also part of the wonderful trio which makes up Goodness Me Box where she is the health editor and is responsible for providing general nutrition tips to help you lead a happier, healthier life.
To see the feature visit:
While you are there make sure you check out the rest of her blog, as well as her delicious recipes.
You can also find her on Facebook and Instagram
- By Olivia Bates
- 8 September 2014
On Saturday 30th August we joined Marie-Claire at the OFFICIAL OPENING of her incredible new Health Food store in Maroubra called Coco’s Wealth of Health! We spent a wonderful afternoon sampling our delicious cold pressed almond milk and meeting the likeminded locals!
“Coco’s Wealth of Health is a natural health and wellbeing food store that caters to likeminded people. We are here to bring wholefood nutrition into your life and to inspire you in the kitchen with our passion for quality products.”
If you haven’t yet had a chance to check it out, add it to your to do list this weekend and say hi to the very lovely Marie Claire!
Check out the Coco’s Wealth of Health Website for more information
or visit their Facebook Page and Instagram (@cocoswealthforhealth) for all the latest news and updates 🙂