Ideally when we say local we mean buying directly from the nearby farm, however this is obviously not always possible so make sure at the very least you are buying Australian grown and Australian made products. Why?
- It’s fresher– when you buy local, and more specifically from the farmer, your produce hasn’t had to sit in cold storage and be shipped long distances (be wary of some of the larger supermarkets who keep their ‘fresh’ produce in cold storage for days, weeks and even months)
- It’s cheaper – If it is not in season in Australia, you are going to pay a premium for an overseas import. Produce in season will be in abundant supply ultimately meaning lower costs to consumers so watch for the specials at your local green grocer!
- It boosts the Australian economy – By supporting our local farmers we are keeping money in Australia and creating jobs from the associated industries such as packing, transport etc
- It helps create a healthier environment – buying local means reducing our carbon footprint, improving air quality and reducing pollution which helps us and our future generations.
- It tastes better – Particularly farm fresh produce is left to ripen for longer on the vines before being picked and then sent directly to markets so the consumer has it within 24 hours of being picked!