by guest contributor Samara aka @fithealthyproject
“Hi there! My name’s Samara and i’m the 19 year old girl behind the instagram ‘fithealthyproject’. I started posting around a year and a half ago, after deciding to take charge and make a change in my life. Long story short, I’ve battled severe depression and anxiety for a number of years. After hitting rock bottom in late 2013, I began researching holistic ways of overcoming these conditions. I stumbled across the benefits of a plant based diet, and consequently the lack of ethics behind much of the meat, dairy and other animal based industries. I decided to give it a shot, as at that point I had nothing to lose. I honestly cannot express how much that decision has changed my life… I became healthier, both mentally and physically. I was more positive, I had more energy, I began to be able to approach situations in a more calm manner. I’ve rediscovered how exciting and amazing life actually is, and now try to make the most of each day, rather than resenting each minute. Some of my hobbies/passions would be… baking (of course haha!), reading, jogging, doing yoga, playing soccer and touch football, chasing my kitten around the house and making her cuddle me … the list goes on. I love sharing my recipes with others and helping inspire people to start their own healthy lifestyle, since doing so has literally saved my life! ”
Enjoy the recipe!
- 1/3-1/2 cup GF flour mix (I used my go-to blend that I keep on hand which is 1 cup brown rice flour, 1 cup sorghum flour, 1/2 cup arrowroot, 1/2 cup potato starch)
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 heaped tsp flaxseed meal + 3 tsp warm water, mixed and left to sit for 10 mins
- 1/3 cup Luz Almond Cacao milk + 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar/lemon juice (left to sit for 10 mins)
- 1 scant tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- For filling: 6 squares LE coconut milk chocolate (or 6 squares of your vegan chocolate of choice)
- Grease two normal size muffin tins with coconut oil. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- In a small ramekin, mix the flaxseed meal and warm water together and place aside.
- In another small ramekin, mix the Luz Almond milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together your GF flour, baking powder, sugar, cacao powder and sea salt. Create a well in the centre of this mix.
- Pour the flax egg, almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla into the well. Using a wooden spoon, stir until just combined – be careful not to overstir!
- Spoon the mixture into the first greased muffin spot, filling to halfway. Layer three of your chocolate squares, then cover completely with more mixture. Do the same for the second muffin spot.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until a skewer comes out relatively (considering you have melted chocolate in there haha!) clean.
- Let rest in the pan for 5 minutes. Tilt your pan to help ease the cakes out gently. Transfer carefully to serving plates, and top with whatever your heart desires (my tummy recommends Luz Almond cacao fudge vegan icecream, more melted chocolate, fresh fruit)!