With Australia day fever in the air, we couldn’t think of a better recipe to reinvent than the humble lamington. Inspired by Theresa Cutter and Kate Doyle of Honest to Goodness, we have created these gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free lamingtons which taste even better than the real thing. Please note credit for the sponge recipe goes to Kate Doyle, with the addition of raspberries inspired by Theresa Cutter’s recipe. The chocolate glaze however is entirely our own!!
⅔ cup coconut oil
⅓ cup rice malt syrup
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup arrowroot powder/tapioca
¾ cup almond meal
1 cup frozen raspberries
½ cup Henry Jones & Co Raspberry Fruit & Chia (or other raspberry jam of your choice)
2 tbsp cacao
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup rice malt syrup
2 tsp nut butter
½ cup Luz Almond Original almond milk
1 tsp corn flour/tapioca / arrowroot
1 cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius. Line lamington / slab tin with baking paper.
2. Combine the coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla in a small saucepan, over low heat, stirring occasionally until combined.
3. Beat the eggs until thick and creamy, approximately 5 minutes. As you continue to beat, add the coconut oil mixture in a steady stream.
4. Add the almond meal, baking powder and arrowroot flour. Fold until combined.
5. Pour into lined tray and sprinkle with frozen raspberries. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. You may need to cover with foil half way through if it begins to brown too much.
6. Remove from tin and allow to cool then cut into equal sized squares (we would suggest cutting into 20 pieces to make 10 lamingtons).
8. To make the glaze combine all ingredients, except the shredded coconut in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk continuously until thick glaze is formed. Remove from heat and allow to cool/thicken for a few minutes. Then spread onto each side of the lamington and roll in shredded coconut.
9. Refrigerate until ready to serve!
WARNING: These are messy to make but the end result is well worth it!!