A delicious and healthy cacao truffle which makes the perfect not – so – naughty treat at this time of year!
1/3 cup purple skinned sweet potato puree (see step 1)
15 pitted Medjool dates
1 1/2 cups walnuts
1/2 cup raw cacao
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp coconut oil (optional)
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. Heat oven to 250 degrees celcius (or very hot) and bake the sweet potato for 1 hour or until soft when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool and then scoop out flesh from the skin (discard skin). Puree flesh in food processor (Mash can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator).
2. Chop 1/4 cup of walnuts roughly and set aside. In food processor grind remaining walnuts until fine, then add dates and mashed sweet potato. Blend until mixture sticks together.
3. Add raw cacao, chia seeds and cinnamon and blend until incorporated. Add coconut oil (optional).
4. Remove from food processor and fold in chopped walnuts evenly.
5. Roll teaspoon sized amounts into balls and roll in almonds.
6. Place on tray and refrigerate until set (1 hour +). Enjoy as you please!
– try other coatings to mix it up – chopped goji berries, cacao powder
– to make the truffles that extra bit special dab them with gold leaf (see below)